- Association of Environmental Consultants and Contractors of Malaysia (AECCOM)
- Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MICCI)
INTERNATIONAL CENTRE OF
- World Health Organisation Air Management Information System
Dr. Tong Soo Loong is a Director and Principal Consultant of Enviro-LIFT Services Sdn Bhd.
Prior to joining Enviro-LIFT, Dr. Tong served as a Senior Manager in Alam Sekitar Malaysia (ASMA) from Sept. 1997 till August 2000. He was responsible for the management of the National Water Quality Monitoring Network contract with the Department of Environment, Malaysia and development of waste water management consultancy services for the industries.
He held the post of Associate Professorship in the Department of Chemistry of the University of Malaya prior to joining ASMA in September 1997.
Dr. Tong is a registered EIA Consultant (Registration No. I 00024) with the Department of Environment, Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment. He is also a registered Chemist with the Malaysian Institute of Chemistry, and a Technical Assessor of the Department of Standards Malaysia.
He has been actively involved in Environmental and Analytical Chemistry research and teaching and he has made significant contributions in the field of water quality studies and environmental management. Dr. Tong has also been an active environmental consultant and he has served as Project Coordinator and Consultant for a number of projects including seven (7) EIA and risk assessment studies for Tenaga Nasional Berhad, five studies for the DOE on water quality criteria and standards, river classification, and marine oil pollution and two projects on offshore oil and gas field environmental monitoring for EPMI.
Dr. Tong obtained his B.Sc. from Nanyang University, Singapore in 1967 and Ph.D. from McMaster University, Canada in 1971 (both in Chemistry).
Name / Qualifications / Position
Field of Expertise & Experience
Dr. Tong Soo Loong
BSc (Nanyang); PhD (McMaster); AMIC
- Director / Principal Consultant
- Water and air quality monitoring and assessment
- Consultancy on regulatory and compliant requirements on air, wastewater and waste management
- Innovative industrial wastewater treatment processes and technologies
- Industrial pollution and hazardous site assessment and remediation
- Environmental science and analytical chemistry research and applications
Major Projects Undertaken / Clients Supported
- Senior Manager for the National River and Island Marine Water Quality Monitoring Programmes for Malaysia (Sept. 1997 – Aug. 2000) – Client: Department of Environment, Malaysia
- Project Manager and Principal Consultant for the Development of Water Quality Criteria and Standards for Malaysia and Classification of Malaysian Rivers (1985 – 1998) – Client: Department of Environment, Malaysia
- Project Manager and Consultant for EIA studies and post EIA environmental monitoring (1988 – 2000) – Clients: TNB; Esso Production Malaysia Inc; Syed Muhammad, Hooi dan Binnie; Perlis State Government / ADB; KMB Iklim Marin S/B; NKK International (M) Sdn Bhd (for Perodua Proposed Incinerator Project)
- Environmental site assessment consultant to DHV Environment & Infrastructure, Netherlands for Hewlett Packard factory site, Penang and Philips Electronic Supplies (M) Sdn Bhd, Shah Alam; Environmental site assessment (Phase I and Phase II) for Dipsol Chemicals (M) Sdn Bhd; Universiti Malaya chemical store post-fire clean up; post fire/explosion clean up for Colloid Industry Sdn Bhd, Klang; ESA Phase I for Bata (M) Sdn Bhd
- Consultant on regulatory compliant for wastewater discharge and waste management and wastewater treatment plant upgrading for: Central Sugars Refinery Sdn Bhd; Malayan Sugars Manufacturing Co Bhd; WRP Asia Pacific Sdn Bhd; Alcom Nikkei Specialty Products Sdn Bhd; Dipsol Chemicals Sdn Bhd; Kualiti Alam Sdn Bhd; Choon Giap Knitting Industries Sdn Bhd; Teluk Datai Resorts Sdn Bhd; Mauri Fermentation (M) Sdn Bhd; Celcure Chemicals (M) Sdn Bhd; Muda Paper Mills Sdn Bhd, Ancom Crop Care Sdn Bhd
- Special project – Consultant to PT. Uchida Electronics, Batam, Indonesia (Copper surface contamination studies)